Perfect for a chilly night… and exciting!
Bananas Foster Flambé
Instead of sobbing in my Sauvignon Blanc over last Tuesday’s debacle (go, bears!!), I’m going to get my RDA of potassium via the bananas, with a little joy juice thrown in to widen the arteries.
Thanks to my wife, we’ve had this a couple of times, and it’s a blast to make. It was a special cheer-me-up when we made it in grumpy chilly grouchy excessively sober Olympia, Washington, where we were encamped for two interminable years.
To serve 4:
- melt 4 tbsps. butter with 4 tbsps. brown sugar and mix well over over low heat
- add 3 tbsps. (or 2 capfuls) of Crème de Banana
- add 8-10 bananas, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- simmer until they’re soft
- turn up the heat, add 2-3 oz. of brandy, wait a scant 5 seconds, then light on fire and reduce heat to sim. (You won’t be lighting the liquid; you’ll be lighting the alcohol vapor – just hold a lit match over the pan, and stand back!)
- keep simmering until the last flame flickers out. Serve ’em up!
This is best served with vanilla ice cream or a frozen yogurt. Delicious!
That’s it for now. Something unknown but more substantial next time.